Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Happy Independence Day Pakistan!


To all of you celebrating Pakistan's independence day, Jashn-e-Azadi Mubarak. A longer post on Pakistan's 60th is forthcoming. In the meantime, I thought I'd share one of my all-time favorite patriotic music videos. It's "Jeetain Gay" (We Will Win) by Vital Signs. There's something about the juxtaposition of the images (old, young, new, North, South, East, West) and the lyrics that I continue to find inspiring and that I connect with all things Pakistan. In particular, I love the way the newspaper clippings are interwoven with moving human beings...kind of connects the past with the present and the future IMHO. In a strange way, the song and the video continue to speak to my Pakistani-American identity. No dwelling on in-between spaces today..that's a much longer post that I'm saving for when the mood strikes me. For now, happy birthday Pakistan...and many more.

[PS: Unfortunately the video quality is pretty bad. Not to mention that it isn't subtitled. If anybody is interested, I can finish a translation and add it to this post.]

No comments: