Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Super Tuesday

Here it is! If you're a US citizen and reside in a state that is holding primaries today I urge you to go out and vote. I'm planning on casting my vote in the next hour or so.

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't know until recently whom to vote for. That's probably why I haven't been as active in this election as I was with the last presidential race. Last time, while the Democrats duked it out, I knew I wanted to go with John Kerry - and I did. This time has been markedly different for me. All I knew was that I wanted to vote - there's something about it that I love with the kind of childish hope and faith that I think participating in a democracy ought to be about. The belief and feeling that one has a role to play in one's political future does feel powerful and encouraging. Yes I recognize that I'm just one vote - but a few "one votes" can be critical as we've seen in recent elections. I'll admit that I really became more of an Edwards supporter over the last couple of months and wish he'd stayed through Super Tuesday to see how things transpired. But he probably made that decision because he believed it was the better one. I've never been a big fan of Senator Hillary Clinton - one part of me wanted to support her because it'd be nice to see a woman be president. But that's not what this should be about - or so I happen to think. I've been in angst about this but watching the debates over the last few weeks I've decided that I'm more committed to what Obama has to offer. I also agree that it's about time that politicking changed a bit - we're in desperate need of new blood and a fresh perspective. Also, Obama seems less like he's running for office (which is what Sen. Clinton seems to be doing all the time) and more like he's passionate and inspired from the heart and from the gut.

I'll post more some other time about the reasons why we gravitate towards calling someone (an actor, a presidential candidate, a significant other, a teacher, what have you) or something (a film, a TV show, a restaurant, you name it) "the best" and what arguing about this "best" is all about.

For now, I better complete my work so I can get to the polling booth before it gets crowded.

Happy Voting all!

2 comments:

Faisal said...

*sigh* One day I'll get to vote...

Bionic-Woman said...

You so will...although judging by your blogposts it might take longer than some of us think ;-). Kidding...given that this is an election year perhaps that'll happen sooner than soon. Darn, my 's' key is acting up!