Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving folks!

I love Thanksgiving as a holiday. I like how the US holiday season begins with a day that everyone in the country feels comfortable observing sans tripping over political correctness (a rant on that some other time although Asad has sort of blogged about that here).

There's a spirit of festivity, togetherness, giving thanks that I happily buy into. I think it's grown on me even more so in the last few years as I have come to think of America as home. Not so much when I moved here initially but then again change is always difficult to cope with even if it is also exciting at the same time. I like that it's a tradition that is all-encompassing - no matter color, gender, creed, or anything else to which you belong I like that it is something that all Americans can share. Even if it sounds cheesy, it reminds me of Eid in Pakistan ... a holiday that the majority observes in their own different ways with multiple traditions and rituals but we agree on the overall contours of it all. I like that it tends to veer away from liminality - in both spirit and practice.

Here's wishing everyone a fabulous and joyous holiday. May you have a lot to be thankful for and to celebrate. Bon appetit!

No comments: