Thursday, August 31, 2006

So then... it's not appropriate, is it?

You know how it is. Everyone comes around and says something to you doing something. As the adage goes, you can't keep all of the people happy all of the times. But then there are some disclaimers on how this can happen "some of the times" with some of the miserable lot. Bullocks, if you don't mind me english agricultural slang, this can not happen. Not some of the times, not even one single time.

Being politically correct was good manners when I was growing up. But when I grew up I realised it is just loads of pressure for nothing. Political correctness means being sensitive towards other people's issues. It becomes a joke when all you see around is issues- created, crafted, natural born, incidential, compulsive, inherited, historical, and some other types that are quite big issues in themselves.

Some people think that this opinion of mine is a bit cynical in nature. But then people have issues remember, emotional blindness and intellectual myopia being a few of these issues. We have already established that people are just a miserable lot anyway.

I don't mean to be anti or pro semitic here, cause I am not in the mood for a public apology today, but even the issue of Holocaust being over-rated is over-rated. It is so over-rated that when Mel Gibson got caught mumbling something against the jewish people, I immediately thought of the "Hugh Grant Incident" that led to our dear Ms. Hurley giving him a boot. Now these two incidents are not entirely similar in nature, you would rightly think. As one of them involved a prostitute and the other one was a plain simple car accident. A few things common were perhaps a celebrity, some alcohol, a car and a famous drive (Sunset Blvd versus Malibu- pick your choice). But you see what I mean, right? This is how passe these issues have become.

And don't even add Zidane, and Mr. Hair (famous cricket umpire who forfeited a cricket test match and created history) incidents to the list here. Inzimam was just completely insensitive to the seam and deserved every minute of those painful five he spent in the pavillion having a cup of tea protesting against the potentially racist behavior. And Zidane was just an idiot you know. I mean it was only his mother who was being abused- learn to live with it all you French sod!

You know the tribe I come from went through serious genocide in 1857. Read the Indian sub-continent history and the partition of 1947. Even the British version of the history would have some account of number of deaths and children and women dying etc. I have never been given any sympathy for that... I want public protection of my emotions, now. I demand that I be given the right to add this cross-generation emotional trauma to the list of current-and-always-alive issues of the world.

I also think that the Pol Pot victims should be given a global emotional refuge. Cambodia, after all, is a world heritage site and host to one of the wonders of the world. And over a million people died just because that bloody dictator was always stoned on the famous golden triangle grass. Remember, though, that all this happened right after the Americans finished their dinner in Vietnam and left without looking at who is sitting at the table next to them in the restaurant.

I start getting butterflies, ugly ones, in my stomach when I think of the issues that would come up in a few years' time in Afghanistan, Iraq and the rest of the Middle East, and as an obvious result, everywhere in Israel. I mean, you know, give me a break. How many issues would I have to tell to my next generation to be emotionally sensitive about?

I think I shall leave them to be completely insensitive. Because that's what these issues seem to be doing to us anyway, and why should I make one more issue out of this?

No comments: