Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Umm...age also lies in the eyes of the beholder?

This academic year (2007-2008) I have a visiting professor gig at what would be safe to label "Dream University"....the students and colleagues are both as close as one could possibly get to having one's "wish-list" met. The spring semester started last week so we're currently in the second week of classes at this point. There are still some students for whom this week will be the first time they go to a class since they were in the process of figuring out their schedules.[Relevant aside: I hate it when students join past the first class for the only reason that by the second class we've gotten down to business. Of course there isn't a familiar rhythm just yet but they end up missing the "this is the analytic we're working with" spiel which means they're going to be somewhat lost for a while which will then influence the "discussion" which is particularly critical this time round since both my classes are seminars rather than lectures.]

In my morning class (I'm teaching 2 new preps this semester), I had 2 newbies walk in for the first time. Usually, I walk in right when class is beginning or a couple of minutes later. However, yesterday I had a DVD to set up for us to watch in class so I arrived early. There were a few students in there already so we started chatting about lots of different stuff. Enter NewKid#1 - he looks completely unsure if he's in the right place. We confirm that he is. He takes a seat. As I'm talking to the students, it's pretty obvious he realizes only then that I'm the professor. Umm I thought it was kind of obvious perhaps even self-evident. Oh well. We start class and NewKid#2 walks in as one of the students is in the midst of making a comment. NewKid#2 looks like he's just woken up and walked straight to class - not that I am being judgmental :-). But he looks clearly dazed. He doesn't know whom to offer an explanation to about his coming to this class for the first time. He's scanning the room and I'm thinking to myself, "You have to be kidding me! Come on! I'm the only one dressed formally. Crack the code already". The students are looking at me holding back the urge to snicker. Finally I break the silence (read: his confusion).

When I first started teaching a class independently I was 23 years old. The confusion at that point is understandable. But I'm 32 now! One would think the age difference is substantive enough for a student to figure out that I'm the "head honcho" as it were in that configuration. Between wearing glasses and dressing formally I would have thought this wouldn't be a problem. Maybe I need to find some "old lady frames" like I did when I first started teaching - they didn't help much back then but I'm thinking now would be different. I think it's easier for young male professors - they can grow a beard as I know some folks who have. Nopes I don't want to grow a beard (!) but there's got to be some kind of other marker that younger female faculty members can adopt to avoid being mistaken for a student. I wonder if gender perceptions have something to do with this? Why do I say this? Because I don't think younger male faculty members run into the same problem as much as women do - at least the ones I've met.

Most people tell me I should be flattered that people still mistake me for a student. But an undergrad? Seriously?! I'm pretty sure I don't look that young - or so I think. I think I'll be flattered if this happens when I'm 45. For now, not so much.

No comments: