Thursday, March 29, 2007

Seven Random Things

It has been a long time since I blogged. I am sure you all noticed it, missed me and furiously and duly protested. Or perhaps you were just plain simple grateful to God or Simon for not being offered trivial trash as quality reading material.

My co-blogger asked me, or rather mercilessly convinced me, to talk nineteen to the dozen about seven random “things”. The good news is that you would not have to struggle very hard to find the seven random things in this post. I shall get on with it immediately.

Number One: I have a problem with the word Blog. I want to blog about the blog-ish use of it as a verb, a noun, and an adjective etcetera. The only word I was confident that could be used as all of the above was the famous F word. I do not want to deal with blog. Additionally, the term blog ungraciously looks down upon a piece of writing. I feel I am being compared with the poets, the authors and the journalists of the world, and am being told that “you are not quite there yet”. It makes me feel like an aspiring and frail intellectual. I do not like it. Though, by having a blog of my own, I am learning to live with it.

Number Two: I also have a problem with people’s nick-names on my msn messenger list. I have names like Dynamite on the list, and I cannot recall becoming an acquaintance to Dynamite in real life. I also receive messages from “.”. The other day “..” also messaged me. Just yesterday in fact “…” also broke the ice and asked how I am doing. “The Power of Orange Knickers” has not gotten in touch with me for ages, and I am wondering if it is beginning to annoy “Humph”… I have fond memories of my endless chats with “Love like you have never been hurt”. Someone called “Flavors of Love” seems to be online all the time. When is the 3rd world war?

Number Three: Pakistan’s President Pervaiz Musharaf’s way of handling media in the country has been troubling me a lot lately. Since I am almost on the verge of leaving my short-lived career in media, I will not offer any words of wisdom to him. There are plenty on offer I am sure. All I would say is keep at it Mushy- it will eventually turn out to be great for the country. I am told he has a long-term vision.

Number Four: Apple’s new TV Box has been on my mind. I want to get it. But I can not play any of my pirated video material on I-tunes. Also, why can’t I rip my DVDs and store them on my hard-drive, just like I do my CDs? Also, Apple is not selling movies to us in the UK. Why would I want to wirelessly listen to music on my TV or play music videos that inundate me on fifteen thousand music channels? Shame on you Bill Gates.

Number Five: I have been thinking about Bob Woolmer.

Number Six: Why hasn’t Umberto Eco written a new book yet?

Number Seven: Why did India lose to Bangladesh in cricket? I think we should immediately extend an invite to the Indian cricket team to come over for a few friendly matches in Pakistan. I want the entire world’s attention away from the World Cup.

5 comments:

Bionic-Woman said...

Did you mean Steve Jobs? I'm totally psyched you'll be on this side of the pond in a few hours... yipppeee! See ya soon.

PS: Thanks for updating and chiming in on the blog.

Asad ur Rehman said...

I meant Bill Gates... Sigh that you, YOU, had to point it out!

Irfan Aamir said...

I am glad you wrote Bill Gates and not Bob Woolmer. He had his hands full anyway and should therefore not be blamed for i-tunes related trivialities in our lives, no? Sad how he went though, awfully sad. Just one gem of Urdu (filmy) poetry to commemorate my first visit to your blog, "yeh meray khabon kee dunya naheen sahee laikin, ab aa gaya hoon tau dau din kayam karta chaloon" :)

Anonymous said...

From Russia, with Love:
im quite fascinated by the grammar of orkut. It has taken a life of its own. The Pakistani orkut language is quite entertaining... too late for me to come up with anything even more profound...
Oh and im listening to Chris Cornell's "You know my name" from the latest double-oH!
Signed,
You Know My Name

Anonymous said...

* MSN: may be u r not using the 'add nickname' feature in the latest messenger. Or u r too lazy to do it when u add ppl to ur list.
* PGP Mush: Mentioned in his book, one of the strongest reasons for the coup were Sharif's handling of Judiciary and media. So is Mushi asking for another coup.
* Apple TV : wait for few months and you will find a crack which can let u play ur pirated videos
* WorldCup: India/pakistan are out so that we could get on with our lives and dont have more late night viewings.