Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Guru Bhai, Go to Hell.

I managed to see Guru a few days ago. I am not going to comment on or review the movie. I am not even about to tell you whether I liked it or not. I will get straight to the point and write about the funny nay ironic realities of the subcontinent corporate culture.

First of all, we now know that we can officially do whatever the hell we like to make money, because two wrongs in our world certainly make a right. Let’s talk about ethics and values in our corporate culture or, on second thoughts, let’s not.

Secondly, you are innocent until proven guilty, and a hero when you are proven guilty. This is the type of heroism that is quite popular in our part of the world because it gives rise to the courage to break away from the "system". It has its roots in the eternal suppression of the common man, but ironically it gives rise to even more suppression of the masses. Not a new thing in bollywood flicks, but what the hell. I want to be a "dada bhai" in my next life.

Thirdly, you can sell anything to our nations, if you show them the dream of world domination. Tell them they are working towards making the company the world’s biggest corporation, and they will do anything. I spent three days trying to spot the difference between this and other such dreams of world domination. I failed. Your turn.

If you are working for a company like Guru Bhai’s, God bless you because you are bound to be extremely dumb with your sole quality being your ability to say yes and work like a dog. You cannot possibly be an intelligent man. Learn to live with it.

Apparently the movie is made on the life of Dhirubhai Ambani – the founder of India’s Reliance Group- the largest private sector organisation in India. If it is, I do not need to make a point here. If it is not, well I still do not need to make a point. I mean how did Dhirubhai do all of it and yet managed to create what he has? I feel like defending him… should I?

7 comments:

Irfan Aamir said...

It is not just the passion to ‘break away from the system’ that drives people to do what they (generally?) do in this part of the world i.e. revolts and submission. Rhetoric and small talk are great passions too, maybe more intense than our lust for mangos and cricket put together. People in this part of the world have a lot say about anything and everything, yet little to do. There is a reason I wonder why the mobile phone industry is thriving the way it is in the 3rd world. Mobilink Jazz's line, "Aur sunao" says it all for us here in Pakistan. All our friends have been doing ‘aur sunaoing’ for many decades. That is when we are done talking we must add, ‘aur sunao’ and then again. Like some Gora (white) uncle said once ‘we actually have a lot of time, it’s just that we normally waste quite a bit of it’. That is how we are, truly primed for abuse by guru-bhais and the corporate executives (read seths) alike. I don’t know where I am coming from or where I am going so stop the bus I am getting off right now. Maybe I was just venting. I guess I was. Lols.

sheherzad said...

i want to read more on how you think Dhirubhai did it. Also,in our part of the world, it's the system that is evil...so breaking away from it is celebrated! It is what makes you a man! So if the system changes, we might make a film where justice (or some rendition of it) prevails. I'm blabbering...with my tv on, i cant concentrate on what i write.

Asad ur Rehman said...

See that was my point, two wrongs make a right... how would we change the system, if we break it with exactly the same thing that fuels it? It just becomes a very individual "battle" rather than a fight against the system... Like you said, this is what makes us a man... I am looking down towards my shoes, as I say this.

I also want to read more on how Dhirubhai did it...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bionic-Woman said...

nodding head in agreement on all 3 points. another observation prompted by the second last paragraph of your post: i wonder why we revere (or at least pretend to revere) intelligence but we are ? by reward, i mean more than monetarily. thus, intelligence that is to be revered looks good in movies and books but in our real life we seem to do little more than worship it. nothing against being strategic - but when its vision doesn't extend beyond the here-and-now i reckon things get messy. anyhoo, i ramble...i'm intrigued by the romanticization of a quality in spheres other than pragmatic. i wonder how this works...?

Bionic-Woman said...

PS: irfan, i like the "aur sunao" metaphor :-)!

Anonymous said...

Every thing I spend, I do so after much thought.
Signed,
Bannya