Monday, April 09, 2007

Quote of the Week

I subscribe to a daily quotations service. Some people read their horoscope or favorite newspaper in the morning. I read this....IMHO it's a good way to start the day and, presuming the quote has resonance for me, it can potentially provide a creative spark. Even better when one is dissertating [which is really code for "it's not the writing that's difficult per se; it's the sitting down to begin writing that's even more challenging"].

Anyhow, for the past few weeks most of these quotes have been pretty good. So I figured I'd pick the one I liked most from the previous week's lot and post it on Mondays from now on. Or, that's the plan.

So here's this week's edition: "Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself." - Doris Lessing.

I like that because it suggests to me a thinking that is organic to an individual and every fibre of his/her being rather than something detached and herd-ish. A thought then that is more a belief, a conviction. Something that one would stand by yet change as something about the 'self' in question changes.

No comments: