Tuesday, June 12, 2007

June 12, 2007

So today I worked primarily on the chapter that will be my contribution in The Project That Is Not The Dissertation (TPTINTD henceforth). That this essay is more like a personal narrative that is woven together in ways that will eventually make a broader analytical point makes it even more difficult to pick one favorite sentence that might stand on its own and convey the message it does as part of the larger paragraph.

Oh well...if it does, it does; if it doesn't, you know why.

So here goes: "So far violence was something that happened in neighborhoods none of us had heard of let alone ventured. But this time it was right at our doorstep. And because of it my world seemed to have been altered forever."

Until tomorrow!

1 comment:

Saif said...

So the first two letters of the Verification Tag the site uses are your initials, Bionic-Woman. No, not BW!
Violence, in todays politically correct world, does come as a shock. But it is a part of the very core of our being.
I was asked recently if I was a violent person, and I replied, "Yes." Those who know me might raise an eyebrow or three (I know some martians) but the fact is that I am capable of extraordinary violence. In my mind, that makes me a violent person.
The other thought that came to mind was the fact that Paki society is so divided by social classes which have become geographic boundaries. I know so many people who'd get culture shock going to Empress Market, though they went to school two blocks away.
Our parents isolate us, in "educated" Pakistan, some of us remain isolated our entire lives.
Thats just sad.
Some of us don't. For some, as the blogger here, the awakening to violence as a part of human nature and the realization that we have been isolated/cocooned/"protected" our entire lives are part of the same process.
Lifes full of funny coincidences. The closest I came to violence, as a child, was going to the shcool two blocks from Empress Market, to take my O levels. Never thought I'd equate gunfire with my O levels, but, I do.