Monday, June 02, 2008

Quote of the Week: Monday, June 2

"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses." – Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr.

I really liked this one or rather it resonated with me because of the kind of start this week seems to have gotten off to. And it's only 10:35 am on Monday! Nopes nothing on the scale of tragedy (Mashallah. Knock on wood) but you know when you have the kind of weeks where lots of loved ones are around you because they happen to be visiting and then suddenly the fantasy comes to an end because people have to get back to their daily lives. So I find myself in kind of that lull. Over the past 2+ months, several people whom I love dearly but who live far away have been visiting one after the other. It's been incredibly heartwarming and fun. Now everyone's gone and it suddenly feels very empty. It's going to take a while to get used to. That's what was bumming me out this morning. And then I got this quote in my e-mail and felt rather unbummed because it reminded me to smile both because of weeks past and because I'm sure I'll meet everybody again...soon enough I hope (Inshallah).

Plus I kind of like the whole "glass is half full" approach to life. In fact, I try to veer towards the approach where "the glass is half-full and I'm trying to find a way to make it more full".

Here's to roses and thorns! Have a good Monday all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a terrible feeling when you have been so surrounded by love and companionship... and then real life starts back up! Sounds like you are approaching it well though (I am also a glass half-full person, so I appreciate that!) PS - I am going to try and remember this once all of my celebration has died down and I am back to twiddling my thumbs :)

Bionic-Woman said...

Thanks Julie...I've promised myself a trip so long as I can get all revisions completed on my currently almost-complete-but-fairly-crappy-draft in a few weeks time. Or that's the plan...stay tuned. And I hope some other fun stuff will step in to take the place of the current festivities. For now, I'd say bask in the glory of graduation :-)